Healthcare providers think that improperly deliquesced breasts of chicken tend to have bacteria and result in pathogens, including staphylococcus aureus and listeria. Therefore, if you want to remain safe, try defrosting the chicken breasts at a average rate by initially keeping the chicken at 40 F. Stop using the methods of defrosting like subjecting it to warm water or thawing it on the counter. When the temp goes above 40 F, the bacterial growth might considerably raise and cause different types of diseases.
How to Defrost Chicken Breast in Cold Water
- Get an airtight, leak-proof plastic bag and fill the chicken breast within it. By doing this, the meat won’t be directly subjected to water, that will lessen the possibilities of bacterial development.
- Have a broad, deep plastic bowl for submersion of chicken breasts.
- Put the breasts, packed in plastic bag, inside the bowl and fill it up with cold tap water.
- Allow the chicken breasts fully sunken in to the water.
- Just after 30 minutes, drop that water and change it with clean tap water. Go on till the breasts get defrosted. One pound of chicken breasts will require One hour approximately.
How to Defrost Chicken Breast in the Microwave
- In order to defrost the chicken (packaged ones) in microwave, be sure you make a few holes within cellophane which covers the package with your fingers. This lets the steam leave the package.
- Then put the breast, a single flat layer once at one time, on to a microwave resistant container or dish and set this inside the microwave.
- Depending on the defrosting guidelines of your microwave, fixed time and start it.
- When the chicken breasts get defrosted, remove them from microwave and cook them immediately, or the bacteria may grow.
How to Defrost Chicken Breast in the Refrigerator
- Thawing little pieces of chicken will need nearly a period of 24 hours while thawing the complete chicken will need 24 or even more hours. But do not use thawed chicken over couple of days.
- To prevent leaking, stuff the chicken inside a plastic bag and put it over the bottommost shelf of the freezer.
- Cook the chicken once preserving it 12-36 hrs within the freezer. In case the chicken is little bit frozen, do not freak out. Its okay to cook a bit frozen chicken as long as it’s cooked in the microwave or on the stove.
Above the temp. of 40 degrees F, the micro organisms grow quickly. So select a suitable temperature when defrosting the chicken in microwave.
Time needed to defrost a boneless chicken breast is overnight. But, 1-2 days may be needed if thawing an entire or bone-in chicken.
Cook the thawed chicken immediately. If you cannot do this, you could refrigerate this and use it during the time period of 24 hours.
While thawing the chicken, be sure that the leaking doesn’t lead to contamination of other food items and near surfaces.