Today we will discuss some about some Super foods for eyes. Super food is basically a marketing term for certain fruits and vegetables which are said to be highly beneficial for the body. Each part of our body has a set of super foods that provide the required nutrients and benefits for it to work well and heal faster. Super foods are disputed by researchers saying while they may be beneficial, general health wise; it is not recommended to rely completely on them for treatments. Nonetheless, superfoods are said to contain high levels of anti-oxidants, nutrients, minerals, polyphenols and vitamins. You can read more about super foods here.
Making them a part of your regular diet will reduce risk or chronic disease, prolong and give a healthier life as compared to those who do not. Eyes are an important part of our body which help us see things around us. Many times either due to age or some health problems, we suffer from vision related issues. Some cannot see clearly at distance or nearby, some have distorted vision and some simply have poor eyesight. Vitamins A and C, bioflavonoids, carotenoids, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals and antioxidants all play a major part in giving us healthy eyes. Read some more on eye health. The following super foods help in the providing the above mentioned nutrients to promote healthy eyesight and reduce the chances of various eye problems.
An age old super food for the eyes is carrots. I remember hearing all my life how beneficial it is for the eyes. Carrots are rich in beta carotene which as a antecedent to Vitamin A. Vitamin A is excellent for preventing night blindness and maintains a healthy and clear cornea. Carrots also contain lutein, another essential compound which helps in increasing pigment density in the oval shaped yellow spot near the centre of the retina, the macula. Carrots are also rich in potassium and fiber.
- Carrots should be a part of daily diet. You can easily eat them raw as a snack or in salad and even stir fry, steam, cook etc.
- More reasons why carrots are a super food for eyes.
Green vegetables, especially spinach are very beneficial for improving eyesight. Spinach is a rich source of Vitamins A (protects cornea), lutein (protects eyes from ultra-violet light) and zeaxanthin (helps in visual development).
- Maximum benefits can be gained by having a glass of spinach juice daily, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Walnuts are a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and vitamin nutrients as well as oxidants. They help prevent inflammations and preserve cardiovascular health.
- Eat a handful of walnuts daily.
Avocado is a fruit beneficial for eyes. It is rich in nutrients such as Vitamins B6, C and E and beta carotene. These provide protection against oxidative stress. Avocado also contains lutein which helps in preventing macular degeneration, cataracts and other age related eye problems.
- Avocado can be made part of daily diet by having it in form of salads, in sandwiches, soups and dips.
Cold water fishes, especially Salmon are known to be a super food for the eyes. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid which helps preserve moisture in the eyes, eliminating dry eyes, and prevents macular degeneration caused due to age.
- Salmon and other cold water fishes are recommended to be consumed at least twice a week for best results as a part of your diet.
- Salmon can be cooked in various ways such fried but the best, recommended options to fully take advantage of its nutrients is to poach, grill or bake it.
- A yummy Salmon salad recipe.
- Other cold water fishes include sardines, tuna, herring etc.
Strawberries are also considered to be excellent source of nutrients for healthy eyes. They are rich in Vitamin C which is extremely beneficial for healthy eyes and helps in reducing inflammation. Strawberries are also great anti-oxidants, helping in warding off eyes problems such as macular degeneration, dry eyes, and vision defects.
- Strawberries need to be made part of daily diet. You should consume 3 or more servings a day.
- Strawberries can be eaten raw or taken in the form of desserts, smoothies and fruit salad etc.
Berries are good for one’s eyesight. Blueberries are known to support healthy eyes due to its collagen stabilizing, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Blueberries also have vasoprotective and rhodopsin properties that help in better cellular regeneration and anthocyanins, that help in lowering the blood pressure, inflammation and prevents artery blockage, helping oxygen reach the retina. The weak eyesight is strengthened and blood vessels at the back of the eyes are made stronger.
- You can have them raw or in a fruit salad.
- Also recommended to eat with other berries such as cranberries, blackberries, mulberries and bilberries.
Broccoli, contains many different kinds of nutrients which can affect eye health especially Vitamin B2. Vitamin B2 is essential for eye health because its deficiency can lead to ocular fatigue, blurred vision, sensitivity to light and even inflammation. It also helps in preventing cataracts, especially delaying its progress in old people. Apart from Vitamin B2, broccoli is also found rich in powerful phytochemical antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin and even Vitamin A.
- Since these nutrients are present in the flower heads as well as stalks and leaves of broccoli, the best way to get maximum benefits from it would be to consume it raw or in the form of a salad.
- Broccoli can also be cooked but not as beneficial.
Peppers are a super food too. Found in a variety of different colors, peppers are good for the overall health of the eyes. They are one of the richest sources of Vitamins A (excellent for preserving eyesight) and C (protects against cataracts). Apart from these, they are also found to be rich in Vitamin B6, beta carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and lycopene. This combination of nutrients make peppers very favourable for consuming to maintain overall eye health.
- Peppers are found in different forms and colors: yellow, green, red, orange and even black, brown and purple. You can make them a part of your daily diet in various forms such as raw in salads, steamed, baked, stir fired, grilled and even stuffed.
10. Sweet Potato
Sweet potato is another superfood which is beneficial for the eyes. This particular root is rich in Vitamin A which is excellent for the eyes. Not only does it help in improving eyesight but also prevents macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataracts. Sweet potatoes also reduce the possibilities of developing a bacterial or viral infection. Apart from vitamin A, sweet potatoes are also rich in potassium, fiber and beta carotene.
- You can eat sweet potatoes in form of boiled, baked, fried or grilled food.