Today we will discuss some home remedies for bronchitis. Bronchitis is a respiratory disease. The mucus member of the lungs’ bronchial passages becomes swollen in this. As the inflammation of the membrane increases, the tiny airways to the lungs are either shut off or narrowed down. This causes coughing fits along with some breathlessness and phlegm. Bronchitis has two forms; one is acute (lasts from 1-3 weeks duration) and other is chronic (lasts for at least 3 months for 2 years in a row).
Bronchitis is normally caused either due to particles irritating the bronchial passages or viral (this is air-borne i.e. can be spread via contact or cough) or bacterial infections. Chronic bronchitis is usually caused due to smoking and sometimes air pollution. Compared to acute bronchitis, chronic bronchitis requires doctor’s treatment because most of these people also have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Symptoms for bronchitis include coughing usually with mucus, nasal congestion, fatigue, difficulty breathing, fever and muscle aches. Acute bronchitis, also known as chest cold, can be treated by the following natural home remedies.
Ginger, as I have mentioned in previous articles, has anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties making it ideal for treating common colds, bronchitis, aches etc. It helps in alleviating symptoms such as irritated, swollen or inflamed bronchial passages.
- Combine a teaspoon each of ginger powder, pepper, and cloves.
- Consume this thrice a day with honey or milk.
- Herbal ginger tea is also very effective for alleviating symptoms. Add a teaspoon each of ginger powder and black pepper to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Honey can be added for flavour and added benefits. Drink twice a day.
- In a cup of hot water, add about half a teaspoon each of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir well and drink the mixture for a few days to get relief.
Garlic again contains anti-biotic and anti-viral properties. This makes garlic highly beneficial for treating especially the acute bronchitis.
- Take three garlic cloves.
- Peel and chop them.
- In a glass of milk, add the chopped garlic and boil.
- Drink this before bedtime.
The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric again is good for treating the cough making it effective in treating bronchitis. The turmeric remedy acts as a natural expectorate to the excess mucus.
- In a glass of milk, add a teaspoon of turmeric powder and boil.
- Drink this 2-3 times a day.
- For best results, do this first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- NOTE: This remedy is not suitable for people who have gallbladder stones, hyperacidity, stomach ulcers or obstructive jaundice.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is known to have natural anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. This makes it one of the best remedies for throat and chest infections such as bronchitis, laryngitis and sore throat etc.
- The best way to get the full effect of eucalyptus oil is to inhale its steam. Simply add a few drops in a large pan/bowl of boiling water.
- Cover the head with a towel, lean down and inhale the steam for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat at least twice a day for relief.
- Pine oil or tea tree oil can also be substituted.
- Applying eucalyptus oil directly to the chest also helps in expelling the mucus and improve the respiratory system functioning.
5. Salt Water
Salt water works great against inflammation of throat and lungs. There are 2 benefits of this remedy. First, it will soothe the inflammation in the throat, and secondly, it will cut through some of the mucus causing irritation to the throat making it an effective remedy. Doctors also recommend salt water gargles as important along with medicines.
- Gargling with salt water several times a day is a great way to treat various symptoms of bronchitis. Simply a one teaspoon of salt (adding too little salt will not be effective and too much will bring a burning sensation to the throat) to a glass of warm water and gargle with it.
- Repeat as desired.
Honey, the best of all remedies, is a natural way to deal with bronchitis. Honey has the anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties present in it which is soothing for the throat. At the same time, honey also helps in boosting our immune system.
- Replacing sugar with honey in your regular cup of tea helps immensely when suffering from bronchitis.
- Drinking warm lemon-honey water also helps alleviate the throat inflammation and treat the congestion.
Onions are a natural expectorant. They help in dissolving the mucus and phlegm which provides relief from bronchitis. Also drinking the onion juice prevents further build-up of the mucus and phlegm.
- First thing every morning on an empty stomach, consume a teaspoon of raw onion juice.
- Include raw onions to your daily diet in form of salad. Also use the onions in your cooking.
8. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt bath helps immensely in alleviating the bronchitis symptoms especially the acute bronchitis.
- In the warm bath water, add about 1-1.5kgs of Epsom salt and mix thoroughly.
- Soak yourself in the bath after the Epsom salt fully dissolves for about half an hour.
- In case of acute bronchitis, repeat every night or every other night.
- In case of chronic bronchitis, repeat twice a week.
9. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are known to contain some medicinal properties beneficial for treating bronchitis. It also helps in alleviating the chest pain, one of the less common symptoms of bronchitis.
- Mix a teaspoon each of sesame seeds, honey and flaxseeds or linseeds. Add a pinch of common salt too.
- Consume this mixture every night before bedtime till the symptoms go away.
- Alternately you can mix 5 teaspoon of sesame seeds in about 2 tablespoons of water and drink it.
- Repeat twice daily.
It is important during bronchitis to keep the body hydrated therefore water is one of the key remedies for improvement of health. Fruit and vegetable juices are also recommended. Lemon-honey water first thing in the morning also helps relieve bronchitis symptoms. So drink drink drink as much water and liquids as you can through the day. Avoid caffeine though.