Today we will discuss home remedies for chapped lips. Dry chapped lips are somewhat of a common problem especially during winters when the weather is extremely dry. For some of us, chapped lips are just a small source of annoyance and unattractiveness but for others they can also be painful, depending on the severity. While both lips may be affected, lower lips tend to be more common for being chapped.
Excessive licking and biting does not actually moisten the lips but instead make them drier. Some of the common symptoms of chapped lips are cracking, redness, dryness, tenderness or soreness of the lips. Apart from cold, dry weather, there are other reasons behind chapped lips too which include allergic reaction, smoking, excessive licking of lips, sun exposure, vitamin deficiency and dehydration. Matte lipsticks, lip plumpers and even some types of lip balms can also cause dryness and chapped lips. Some medications like that for acne and eczema can also cause dryness in the lips. The best option for curing chapped lips is to apply the following simple home remedies instead of buying commercially available products which may or may not suite you.
Sugar makes an excellent exfoliator for the lips. For the skin it can be rough but to get butter soft, healthy looking lips, it is best. Sugar exfoliates the dead cells of the lips, helping in restoring the natural softness much faster compared to other remedies.
- Make a mixture of 2 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Apply this to your lips and leave it for a few minutes.
- Then gently begin to scrub the dead skin by rubbing the mixture on your lips with the fingers in circular motions.
- Wash off with luke warm water
Honey is one of the yummy remedies for chapped lips and a must of household item since it is beneficial for so many things. Remedies with honey have been included in majority of the previous articles. For chapped lips, honey’s anti-bacterial properties treat the problem and it also proves to be a great moisturizer to prevent dryness.
- Take some pure organic honey and apply it to your lips several time a day.
- Combination of glycerine and honey for bedtime is also really effective. Just a make a paste of these two and apply to your lips before bedtime.
- The lips will be softer and plumper in the morning.
3. Rose Petals
Rose petals remedy reminds of the rose red lips. This is because fresh rose petals are effective remedy for chapped lips. They provide the moisture to them for long periods of time and not to forget they also naturally enhance the color of your lips to a rosy pink or red. Who does not want that?
- Take a handful of rose petals and wash them thoroughly.
- Then soak these petals in milk for a few hours.
- In case of allergy from the dairy products, you can substitute with glycerine as a soak.
- Make a paste of these rose petals then by mashing them.
- Apply this paste to the lips 2-3 times during the day and before bedtime daily. The difference can be seen within a few days.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another hydrating remedy good for treating dryness and chapped lips.
- Just apply some pure coconut oil to the lips several times a day till the chapped lips are healed. The lips are also kept moist.
- Pure olive oil can also be substituted.
5. Castor Oil
The thick sugary castor oil is also very good for treating chapped and dry lips.
- Same as above, apply castor oil on the lips several times a day.
- Alternately, a soothing treatment can be made using castor oil. Just mix about a teaspoon each of glycerine, castor oil and a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly and apply on the lips before overnight.
- In the morning, dip a cotton ball in some luke warm water to wipe the mixture off the lips.
- Repeat daily till the dryness is gone and chapped lips are healed.
6. Milk Cream
Just as fresh milk is hydrating for the skin, fresh milk cream is very good for chapped lips. Fresh milk cream contains high fat content which makes it one of the best natural moisturizers around.
- Apply the fresh milk cream on the lips.
- Allow it to set for about 10 minutes.
- Then take a cotton ball dipped in luke warm water and gently wash your lips.
- Repeating this daily will help the lips gets moisturized and heal faster.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is also very well known for its natural healing properties especially with skin problems. This again makes it effective remedy for chapped lips. Not my favourite remedy due to its weird taste and smell but very effective for deeply chapped lips.
- Apply a small of amount of aloe vera gel on the lips daily.
- It will not only sooth the chapped lips especially those which are sore but also help in healing faster.
Cucumber is also surprisingly a natural hydrating remedy for chapped lips.
- Rub a slice of fresh cucumber across the lips till the juice coats them fully.
- Leave the juice on for 15-20 minutes before washing off with water.
- Repeating several times a day will help heal the chapped lips faster.
9. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is an effective age old remedy for healing chapped, dry lips.
- Normally used in place of a lip balm. Simply apply the petroleum jelly over the chapped lips several times a day. This will keep them moisturized and protected throughout the day.
- Also apply on the lips before bedtime and leave it overnight.
- You can use it with honey. First coat your lips with a thin layer of honey and leave it for a few seconds to dry.
- Then apply a light coat of petroleum jelly over it.
- After a few minutes, take a cotton ball dipped in luke warm water and remove it.
- Repeat twice daily.
This is a very very important remedy; water. Without this the other remedies might not work as quickly or have a long lasting effect. Drinking lots and lots of water keeps the body hydrated, therefore the lips too which is very important for chapped lips. So do not skip on drinking lots of water throughout the day.