Today we will discuss some home remedies for laryngitis. When your voice box (larynx) gets inflamed, the condition is known as laryngitis. This can be due to irritation, infection or overusing the voice box. Usually on normal days, our vocal cords open and close smoothly to form clear sounds from their movement and vibration. But in laryngitis, these vocal cords become inflamed or irritated. The swelling in them is the reason behind the distortion of sounds when the air passes over them causing hoarseness of voice.
In some cases of laryngitis, the voice may almost become undetectable due to excess swelling. Laryngitis can be short-lived (acute) or long-term i.e. approximately lasting longer than three weeks (chronic). In most cases, laryngitis is temporary but sometimes the persistent hoarseness might be due to some underlying medical condition. The common symptoms of laryngitis are hoarse or weak voice and is often followed by sore throat and dry cough. Fever or trouble breathing etc. symptoms are more serious and need doctor consultation. For regular laryngitis, the following home remedies help in getting rid of the inflammation and help in restoring your vocal cords faster.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
As mentioned many times in previous articles, Apply cider vinegar contains some anti-microbial properties which help fight various infections along with other benefits. This makes it effective to treat laryngitis too.
- In glass of warm water, mix a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Gargle with this solution several times a day till you feel relief.
- You can also simply make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey in half a glass of water.
- Drink this twice a day for relief.
- For added effectiveness, you can also add a little of cayenne pepper to the above drink.
2. Onion Syrup
Onions also contain some anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural expectorant. This makes it a natural remedy for laryngitis. The other uses of onion juice has been discussed in previous articles.
- Take 3-4 medium sized onions and cut them.
- Let these onions then simmer in about 4 cups (a litre) of water till it thickens to a syrup like consistency.
- From this syrup, take about 5 tablespoons and mix in a glass of warm water.
- Add a table spoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Sip this mixture slowly daily till symptoms go away.
One of the ideal remedies for laryngitis is ginger. As I have told in previous articles the benefits and uses of ginger. This is a must have home ingredient along with garlic. Used in countless remedies. For laryngitis, it soothes the inflamed mucous membranes of the larynx.
- Try to chew on fresh ginger slices throughout the day.
- You can also get candied gingers and suck on them throughout the day.
- Alternately you can also have ginger tea. Just boil a few ginger root slices in a pan of water for about 10 minutes.
- Let is simmer, then strain the liquid and allow to cool down.
- Add honey and lemon juice for flavour.
- Drink this tea several times a day.
4. Warm Salt Water
The age old remedy recommended by our elders and doctors both when it comes to sore throat, laryngitis or nasal congestion.
- Simply take a cup of warm water and add about half a teaspoon of salt.
- Gargle with this several times a day for relief.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice again is extremely beneficial for symptoms of cough (as I mentioned in that article), food poisoning and even laryngitis. Lemon helps in loosening the mucus while its acidic nature helps in killing the bacteria and viruses.
- Squeeze some lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Add about 1.5 teaspoon of sea salt or table salt.
- Gargle with this water several times a day.
As mentioned in previous articles, garlic too contains anti-microbial properties that help in killing the viruses and bacteria. Garlic also acts as a natural expectorant.
- Best would be to chew slowly on a raw garlic and then swallow it.
- Another option is to make garlic syrup. For this you need to fill a jar with some raw chopped garlic cloves and cover it with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar and distilled water.
- Mix the contents thoroughly and let it sit for approximately hours.
- Add some raw honey to the mix and refrigerate.
- Consume about 1-3 teaspoons of the garlic syrup every 6-8 hours.
7. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm alleviates throat irritation and inflammation because it contains mucilage that forms into a gel when mixed with water and thus providing relief. This is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women though.
- Simply put some fresh slippery elm in to distilled water.
- Let the gel form.
- Swallow this gel several times a day for relief.
- Alternately you can get some slippery elm lozenges too.
Honey is a must have household item everyone should have. This remedy has been repeated over and over and is known for providing cures for over a 100 known issues and diseases. For laryngitis, it helps sooth the throat and reduce inflammation.
- Best remedy would be to consume a tablespoon of pure raw honey a few times a day.
- You can also have honey tea. Simply add 1-2 tablespoons of pure honey and about half a lemon juice in a cup of hot water.
- Sip this tea daily twice a day.
9. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is known to have natural anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. This makes it one of the best remedies for laryngitis and sore throat.
- The best way to get the full effect of eucalyptus oil is to inhale its steam. Simply add a few drops in a large pan/bowl of boiling water.
- Cover the head with a towel, lean down and inhale the steam for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat at least twice a day for relief.
- Alternately you can also consume lozenges or cough syrups containing eucalyptus oil.
Licorice acts as a natural expectorant for ridding of mucus and also has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.
- Boil a teaspoon of dried licorice root in a cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink this licorice tea thrice a day.
- Not suitable for people with high blood pressure, liver, heart and kidney disease and pregnant and breastfeeding women.