Today we will talk about home remedies for bedwetting. For as long as I remember, I used to hear bedwetting is related to stress or some sort of trauma. It was quite a surprise when I found out that bedwetting is actually a medical condition common in children less than 6 years old. Bedwetting is definitely not a sign of a lazy child or toilet training gone wrong.
Bedwetting is also known as nocturnal enuresis or night-time incontinence. Normally if a child is wetting bed before the age of 7, it is considered normal part of life where the child may be developing night-time bladder control. Bedwetting is described as involuntary urination while asleep. The common factors behind bedwetting are chronic constipation, hormone imbalance, bladder maturation, excessive urine production and small bladder. It is usually recommended to wait out the kid with patience and love. On the other hand if the child is still bedwetting after the age of 7, get him checked pronto as it might be a problem in the urinary system.
Meanwhile the following home remedies also help in curbing the child’s tendency to wet the bed.
The cinnamon spice remedy is one of the simplest ones to help your child from wetting the bed. The reason is that cinnamon is believed to keep the body warm.
- The easiest way would be to make your child thoroughly chew once a day on the cinnamon stick, daily.
- Alternately you can combine some cinnamon powder and powdered sugar and sprinkle it on the buttered toast. This will make a tasty food which you can serve your child every morning for breakfast.
Over the past several articles, I have repeatedly told you the benefits of honey. Since ancient times till now, honey is believed to hold cure for more than 90 different symptoms and diseases. This also makes it one of the most repeated items in home remedies. In case of bedwetting, it helps the child too.
- Since honey is sweet, it is very rare a child to fight having it. Simply give a spoonful of raw honey every night before bed.
- Alternately you can sweeten the milk with raw honey and give it to your child every morning.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Since constipation might be one of the symptoms behind bedwetting, Apple Cider Vinegar makes an effective remedy in preventing it. We have already discussed the benefits of apple cider vinegar in home remedies for various stomach related symptoms where it helps restore the body’s ph balance, reduce acidity, detoxify and treat constipation.
- Take a glass of water and mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Have your child drink it with every meal.
- You can also add some raw honey for flavour and double benefit.
Massaging the lower abdomen also helps in preventing the bedwetting.
- Warm some olive oil to a comfortable temperature.
- Rub and massage it gently on the lower abdomen area for several minutes.
- Repeat daily till the bedwetting stops.
5. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, is part of an ancient ayurvedic treatment for bedwetting.
- Take some pulp of Indian gooseberry and mix it with a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Give a teaspoon to your child daily.
- Alternately you can take a couple of Indian gooseberry seeds by de-seeding them and crushing the pulp.
- Mix the pulp with a tablespoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric.
- Give a tablespoon of this to your child every day.
The high amount of potassium and other nutrient makes banana very beneficial for treating constipation and other issues.
- Have your child eat 2-3 bananas every day. This in treating the bedwetting problem in the child.
7. Mustard Seeds
Mustard seeds are highly effective for treating urinary tract infections, another symptom of bedwetting. This makes it a good remedy for treating the bedwetting issue in your child.
- In a cup of warm milk, stir in 1.5 teaspoon of dried mustard seed powder.
- Have your child drink this every night an hour before bedtime.
The jaggery is also known for its heating effect and keeping the body warm from the inside. This helps in eliminating the problem of bedwetting.
- Every morning, give your child a cup of warm milk with a small piece of jaggery.
- After an hour’s time, give your child a mixture of equal amounts of roasted sesame seeds and roasted celery seeds with a pinch of rock salt.
- This remedy is to be repeated daily for almost 2 months.
9. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds is another important and effective remedy in curing the problem of bedwetting.
- In a glass of warm milk, add a teaspoon of fennel seeds and 2 tablespoons of sugar syrup. You can alternate with honey too.
- Give this to your child for effectiveness.
10. Walnuts and Raisins
Walnuts and raisins also help in reducing the frequency of the bedwetting. It also makes a very yummy snack so the kids are very likely not to take it as a medicine but as a yummy treat they can munch on.
- Every night before bed, give the child 5 raisins and 2 walnuts to eat.
- Repeat this remedy daily till you see the reduction in bedwetting.
11. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice is one of the most famous remedies for bladder and urinary tract infections. A number of people including me have been given it time and again to treat the infection. It tastes great and has no serious side-effects. Since urinary tract infection is a possible reason behind bedwetting, this would make it highly effective treat for your child.
- Try to give the cranberry juice to your child every night, an hour before bedtime. It will help in strengthening the bladder functions.
- Repeat daily for a few weeks.
- In case the urinary tract infection is already diagnosed at the reason behind the bedwetting, you can give your child half a cup of the cranberry juice thrice a day.