Today we will discuss some home remedies for vomiting. Vomiting is basically an uncontrolled, forceful expulsion of stomach contents via mouth and sometimes even the nose. This is a condition which we cannot control nor stop voluntarily though the body’s natural defense mechanism sometimes prevents it from happening by gag reflex and coughing, especially thwarting the dangerous gastric content from entering the respiratory tract. Trying to stop from vomiting might be dangerous as it may lead to choking or asphyxiating.
Vomiting is not a fatal condition in most cases but a side effect to some other diseases. Some of the common causes behind vomiting are pregnancy i.e. the morning sickness, too much alcohol intake, stress, motion sickness, food poisoning, fatal brain injury or sometimes after surgery. In some cases vomiting is also self-induced. This is due to eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. At times when one person vomits, the others nearby tend to feel nauseous especially due to the smell and end up vomiting themselves too. The following home remedies help overcoming the nausea and prevent the vomiting.
Ginger works as a natural anti-emetic which prevents vomiting and is also very good for the digestive system as it soothes the acid reflux in the stomach.
- Simply mix a teaspoon each of ginger juice and lemon.
- Consume this daily
- Alternately you can also have some ginger tea. Add a few slices of ginger in boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Add honey for flavor and drink this tea several times a day.
- You can also simply chew on some raw ginger. Honey can be added on it too if you want (as per taste).
- Ginger ale is also known to help with morning sickness.
2. Rice Water
The water left when boiling white rice is rich in starch and easier to digest. This particular water helps in relieving vomiting especially that which is caused by gastritis. Brown rice water is not recommended in this case.
- Boil a cup of rice in 1.5 cups of water. (You can also take 2 cups if you want)
- Take the rice out after they are cooked and keep the water.
- Drink this rice water for alleviating the vomiting.
Cinnamon is commonly used to help with digestive issues. It helps in calming the stomach and prevent nausea and vomiting commonly caused due to the digestive system.
- Cinnamon tea helps in this case. Simply add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder or a cinnamon stick in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes before straining the water.
- Honey can be added for taste (as per requirement)
- Sip this tea slowly.
- Cinnamon remedy is not recommended for pregnant women or in case of morning sickness.
Mint leaves are refreshing and very soothing for an upset stomach. It helps with digestion and alleviates vomiting.
- Simplest remedy would be to chew the fresh mint leaves.
- You can add a tablespoon of dried mint leaves to a cup of boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the water and sip it slowly.
- You can also make a raw mixture of a teaspoon each of mint juice and lemon juice in a tablespoon of honey and consume it thrice a day. This is a very soothing and refreshing solution.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is very effective and extremely popular remedy for treating any digestive related problems with root cause of acidity. It has an alkalizing effect mixed with the stomach acid and helps calm the stomach whilst aiding in detoxification. The anti-microbial properties also help in treating food poisoning.
- In a cup of water, mix a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Mix and drink as required.
- The overwhelming and toxic smell of vomiting also induces further vomiting. To prevent that from happening; mix a teaspoon of vinegar in 1.5 cup of water.
- Rinse the mouth with this solution.
Cloves are particularly effective in treating nausea and vomiting caused due to gastric acid. The soothing carminative properties help with digestion and curing the vomiting.
- Simply chew on some raw cloves, letting the juice flow in the mouth and down the system.
- Another interesting remedy is to fry some cloves and mix them in honey and swallow the mixture. This helps in stopping the vomiting.
- You can also have cloves tea. Just boil a couple of cloves in a cup of water and let it steep.
- Strain and sip slowly.
- Honey can be added for flavor.
Fennel seeds help with digestion. They also have some anti-microbial properties which aid in treating stomach flu often causing the vomiting. Fennal also eases the nausea.
- Have some fennel tea. Add a tablespoon of crushed fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and sip the tea twice a day.
- Honey can be added for flavor.
- You can also simply, slowly chew on the raw fennel seeds, letting the juice flow down the throat, into the system.
Cumin is one of the refreshing remedies for curing vomiting and nausea. The juices released from cumin help in stimulating the secretion of enzymes in the pancreas which aid in the digestion. It also alleviates the queasy feeling which comes from digestive issues.
- Make a mixture of cumin and cardamom powder to a teaspoon of honey and consume it slowly.
- You can also ground some cumin seeds and add it in a cup of warm water.
- Drinking this helps with nausea too.
9. Onion Juice
Onion juice contains natural anti-biotic properties which help in fighting nausea, vomiting and stomach flu.
- Best remedy would be to combine a teaspoon each of crushed ginger and onion juice.
- Consume this at regular intervals for alleviating vomiting.
- Alternately you can add 2 teaspoons of honey in half a cup of onion juice.
- Take a tablespoon of this mixture at regular intervals.
This is a common remedy for curing the nausea and vomiting especially in pregnant women. The mild flavor and lightness makes crackers easy to digest and at the same time provide the required energy and nutrition.
Slowly munch on crackers with mild herbal tea for relief against nausea and vomiting.