Today we will discuss some home remedies for acidity. Our stomachs normally secrete an acid which is crucial for the digestive process. When this process instead produces an excess or an imbalance in the acid secreted we begin to suffer from things such as stomach aches, bad breaths, nausea, gas etc. The gastric juices produced than lead towards a heartburn, indigestion and ulcers (i.e. acid and pepsin attacks the stomach lining).
The signs of heartburn and indigestion have been told in the previous home remedy articles. What causes acidity is basically lack of exercise, stress, excess drinking of alcohol or smoking, irregular eating habits and eating too much spicy food. Too much use of antacids also lead to developing acidity. Our body also has a natural defence mechanism when the secretion of acid is imbalanced but when these defence mechanism fail in neutralizing the threat, the symptoms of acidity occur. While the natural remedies for heartburn and indigestion are effective, why not try to kill the symptoms and cure the acidity before it gets too severe?
The following home remedies treat the stomach acidity before it evolves further.
1. Basil Leaves
The basil leaves contain carminative and soothing properties. These properties help in providing instant relief against symptoms such as gas, nausea and acidity.
- Best instant remedy would be to simply chew some fresh basil leaves at the first sign of possible acidity.
- Alternately you can also make a herbal basil tea. Just boil 4-5 fresh basil leaves in a cup of water and let it steep for a few minutes. You can add honey for taste.
- Drink this tea frequently.
Cinnamon acts as a natural antacid making it very good for digestive health and against acidity. It also helps in removing stomach gas.
- Have some cinnamon tea for acidity. In a cup of boiling water, just add half a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Keep boiling for a few minutes. Then let it steep for another few.
- Drink the cinnamon tea 2-3 times a day.
- Cinnamon powder can also be added to your food e.g. soup or salad etc.
Buttermilk contains lactic acid in it which helps in neutralizing or normalizing the stomach acid. This makes it effective remedy against acidity. Either buttermilk will do; the one you make yourself or buy.
- In a glass of buttermilk, add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (made into a fine paste by grinding them in little water).
- Consume it to alleviate the stomach ache.
- Alternately you can just directly consume the buttermilk several times a day though best results are from adding a little black pepper or a teaspoon of coriander juice.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
I have repeated this several times that despite apple cider vinegar being acidic in nature it strangely has an alkalizing effect when it combines with the stomach acid. This helps immensely in treating the acidity and is one particular remedy which is used for treating most of the symptoms and classifications of acidity e.g. Heartburn and Indigestion.
- Simply mix in a cup of water, 2-3 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apply cider vinegar.
- Drink this before or after every meal.
Cloves also contain some carminative, soothing properties which increase the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This acid is what negates the acidity and helps dispel the gas.
- Best would be to chew a couple of raw cloves. Let the juices flow into your body.
- Also if you mix equal amounts crushed cloves with cardamom powder and consume it, the mixture helps in fighting acidity and freshening the breath too.
6. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds are another great acid neutralizer. They also help in relieving the stomach ache and improve the digestion.
- Simply boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water.
- Strain the water and drink it after every meal.
- You can also crush some roasted cumin seeds and mix them in a glass of water.
- Drink it after every meal.
- Alternately you can also make the following mixture and consume it on an empty stomach every day.
- Mix a teaspoon each of fennel seed powder, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder and some sugar or honey in half a cup of water.
Ginger also neutralizes the stomach acids and the anti-inflammatory properties help in treating acidity.
- Simplest remedy would be to chew on raw ginger when you feel acidity.
- Alternately you can have some ginger tea. Simply boil some freshly sliced ginger in a cup of water and let it steep for some time.
- Drink this tea to help with acidity.
- Also just drinking a tablespoon of ginger juice a couple of times a day helps alleviate acidity.
Jaggery has properties which aid in digestion and has an alkalizing effect when mixed with stomach acid hence reducing the acidity.
- Just suck on a small piece of jiggery after every meal till the acidity goes away.
- Jaggery is easily available in Indian or Asian Ethnic grocery stores.
- This is not recommended for people with diabetes.
Fennel seeds, also known as aniseeds, have some carminative properties which help with stomach ache and relieving gas.
- Best option would be to chew on some fennel seeds especially after eating a heavy or spicy meal.
- Alternately you can also make a fennel drink. In a cup of hot water, steep a couple of teaspoons of fennel seeds.
- Strain the water and drink it a few times a day.
10. Cold Milk
Milk is rich in calcium and nutrients required to stop the build-up of stomach acids. Milk also helps in steadying the gastric juices in the stomach due to acidity hence providing relief. This is the simplest of all remedies.
- Just have a glass of cold milk every day to soothe or prevent acidity and related problems.
In case the symptoms of acidity are not reduced or provide relief or go away in a couple of days of using these home remedies; better to consult a doctor because sometimes what may feel like acidity may also be something else entirely.