Today we will discuss some home remedies for asthma. Asthma is a lung disease or in medical terms it is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways causing airflow obstruction to the lungs and bronchospasm. Asthma can either be chronic or acute. The exact cause behind the asthma is not completely understood but suspected to be due to either environmental or genetic factors or the combination of the two.
The symptoms of asthma are recurrent attacks of chest tightness, wheezing (most common), shortness of breath and coughing. Symptoms tend to be worse in early morning and night or in response to exercise. The constant coughing also produces the sputum but makes it hard to bring it up. GERD, rhinosinusitis, etc. are some of the conditions which tend to accompany people suffering from asthma. Air pollution, pollen, allergens etc. also tend to play a huge role as environmental factors worsening the condition though sometimes even the emotions and medications play a factor. In severe cases of asthma attack, even the wheezing is barely audible.
The following home remedies provide relief from the asthma symptoms:
Ginger is well-known for being an effective natural remedy for various ailments including asthma. It is studied that ginger helps in reducing the airway inflammation and may contain compounds which enhance the effects of some asthma drugs which cause muscle relaxation making it easier to breath.
- Best would be to sprinkle some salt on raw ginger and consume it.
- You can also make herbal fenugreek and ginger tea which helps in lung detoxification. Simply boil a tablespoon offenugreek seeds,a teaspoon each of ginger juice and honeyin a cup of water and mix thoroughly.
- Drink this twice a day.
- Alternately, you can take a teaspoon of ground ginger and mix it in 1.5 cups of water.
- Drink a tablespoon of this mixture before sleeping.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
- Consume a tablespoon of this mixture 2-3 times a day.
2. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil massage is very effective in countering the asthma attack as it helps in clearing the respiratory passages and restoring normal breathing.
- Take some mustard oil and mix a little camphor in it. Heat this potion.
- Let it cool down to warm (not too hot or cold), gently massage the potion on yourchest and upper back.
- Repeat several times a day till you get better.
Figs, also called injeer, have natural nutritional properties which help in relieving breathing difficulties and help drain phlegm and improve respiratory health.
- Take 3 dried figs. Wash them before soaking them in a cup of water overnight.
- First thing in the morning, eat the soaked figs and drink the water
- This home treatment needs to be followed for a couple of months.
Garlic is also known to help in alleviating congestion in the lungs during the early stages of asthma.
- Take a cup of milk and boil 2-3 cloves of garlic in it.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to warm before drinking it.
The caffeine present in regular coffee acts as a bronchodilator which helps in controlling the asthma. Hot coffee basically relaxes and clears the airways for easier breathing. The stronger it is, the more effective it is.
- Try to take a cup of black coffee for relief but do not exceed more than 3 cups as that can be harmful.
- Black tea can also be substituted for caffeine. Again too much caffeine should not be taken in large amounts or as regular treatment.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
Pure eucalyptus oil has some decongestant properties and a chemical called eucalyptol which helpsin breaking up mucus therefore alleviating the asthma symptoms.
- Best to put some eucalyptus oil drops on a clean cloth or paper towel (and keep it near your head) or your pillow cover at night so the fumes can be inhaled while sleeping.
- You can also use it as steam therapy by putting 2-3 drops of the eucalyptus oil in boiling water and breathing in the steam.
- The more deep breathes you take, the better the effect.
Honey is the mother of most remedies and one of the ancient natural cures for asthma. Honey contains some natural nutrients which help in relieving the symptoms.
- For some people, as much as just inhaling the pure raw honey scent helps in alleviating the asthma symptoms.
- Another remedy is to mix a teaspoon of honey in a glass of hot water and drinking it thrice a day.
- You can also mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a teaspoon of honey and have it daily before bedtime to remove the mucus for easier breathing while sleeping.
Onions contain anti-inflammatory properties necessary for reducing the constriction caused in the airways blocking the airflow due to asthma. There is also presence of some sulphur content which works down as far as the lungs to decrease the inflammation.
- Best cure would be directly eating raw onions for clearing the passageways.
- Alternately you can consume them by cooking onions and eating them.
Asthma patients are found to often be deficient or have low levels of vitamin C. Lemons are high in vitamin C content and also contains oxidants for flushing out asthma causing toxins.
- Make a lemonade by squeezing half a lemon and sugar (as per taste) in a glass of water.
- Drink daily to reduce the asthma attacks.
- Alternately you can also have other vitamin C rich foods like oranges, berries and papayas etc.
- Bottled lemon juice is not good. Fresh lemons should be used. Also make sure lemons do not worsen your condition since on some people the effect is opposite.
10. Carom Seeds
- Just boil a teaspoon of carom seeds. You can either consume it or inhale it, your choice.
- You can also warm the carom seeds in a clean cloth and place it against the chest and the neck till they cool down.
- Repeat daily till you are better.