Today we will discuss some home remedies for eczema scars. Eczema is basically a skin condition where the skin becomes inflamed and bumpy. It is also called Atopic Dermatitis and is often red and itchy rash. The eczema rashes can appear anywhere on the body including cheeks, elbows, behind the knees, chest, wrist, ankles etc. Usually eczema is diagnosed in young children or babies and tends to get better in adulthood. Very rarely does it get worse or get diagnosed in adulthood.
People who generally suffer from eczema have dry and sensitive skin. Some signs and symptoms include intense itching, scaly, red, inflamed areas, rough leathery or dark coloured patches, oozing or crusting etc. Some of the common reasons behind eczema are allergens, irritants, stress, microbes etc. More than often, eczema tends to leave ugly scars when it begins to go away. These scars take a long time to disappear on their own and their presence oftentimes leads to embarrassment or self-consciousness or public image issues.
The following home remedies help speed the process for fading the scars faster and at the same time provide relief from pain and itching. Remember, these remedies take time and require regular use to be effective.
Honey is one of the best remedies for treating various skin problems including eczema. The anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties soothe the inflammations, helping in reducing the condition and healing the scars.
- Wash the area thoroughly and apply pure honey on it directly, rubbing gently.
- Honey can also be used as scrub by mixing it with crystallized sugar. Simply mix them together and gently scrub the affected area with the mixture for a few minutes. Rinse off.
- Repeat a few times a week till the scar goes away.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
You know apple cider vinegar contains some natural astringent, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It is these properties which help in reducing the eczema including the scars.
- Best remedy is to mix 2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar with raw pure honey (as per taste) in a glass of water.
- Drink this thrice a day. With time this potion will increase immunity and reduce the inflammation and scarring.
- To help reduce itching and dryness, you can also directly apply the apple cider vinegar by mixing it with water in a 1:1 ratio (i.e. equal parts).
3. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, also known as neem, is another great home remedy for treating various skin problems including eczema. It helps in reducing the inflammation, itching and redness.
- Make a mixture of a tablespoon each of turmeric and crushed neem leaves and a few drops of sesame oil.
- Apply this mixture to the affected areas for approx. 30 minutes before rinsing off.
- Repeat at least once a day till symptoms go away.
Oatmeal contains some natural cleansing agents which soothe the skin and relieves the itching making it a soothing remedy for Eczema and eczema scars.
- Fill the bath with warm water (not hot)
- Grind 1-2 cups of oatmeal and pour it into the bath.
- Soak your body in this mixture for 20-30 minutes. With a soft absorbent towel, pat the skin dry.
- Depending on the severity of the eczema, you can do this up to thrice a day.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the best remedies for lightening and removing any type of scars including the eczema scars. Also the anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties present in it reduce the irritation and inflammation.
- For best results, apply the aloe vera gel, freshly extracted from the aloe leaf, directly to the affected areas.
- Repeat several times daily till the scars go away.
- Alternately you can make an aloe mixture in lotion form. Simply mix equal parts of vitamin E oil and fresh aloe vera gel into a thin paste.
- Apply this on the affected areas and leave overnight.
- Wash in morning with warm water. Repeat daily.
- Fresh aloe gel has best results but readily available gel is also good.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a gentle exfoliant which can easily remove the dead skin cells without irritating the rash or further inflaming it. On the other hand it helps in reducing the itching.
- In a tablespoon of water, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas, gently rub and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse off with luke warm water.
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil also is a very good soothing remedy for inflammation due to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it very effective for relieving eczema symptoms. Regular use softens the skin, fades the scars and reduces the redness.
- Massage the affected areas with extra virgin olive oil.
- Then Cover the area with hot towel or washcloth and leave it on till the water cools. Wipe the excess oil with luke-warm water.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day.
- Alternately coconut oil can also be used same way.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemons contain vitamin C in abundance which helps generate new skin cells, brightening the skin. Also the acidic nature and anti-septic properties, naturally lightens the skin tone, helping in fading all sorts of scars including the old eczema scars.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected areas twice a day, leaving it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat daily.
- Alternately you can make a lemon scrub by mixing fresh lemon juice with sugar taking 1:1 ratio.
- Use this scrub on alternate days before bedtime.
9. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is another soothing remedy best for lightening the eczema scars. It is also known as a curative/restorative salve and also acts as a moisturizer.
- For best and most effective results, use pure cocoa butter instead of lotions available containing cocoa butter.
- Apply the cocoa butter on the scars daily. With regular use, the scars will get lighter and lighter.
- Alternately Shea butter can also be used for eliminating the scars. Since the shea butter is also rich in keratin and vitamins A & E, it also rejuvenates the skin.
10. Fish Oil
The omega-3 fatty acids available in fish oil are very beneficial and help in healing the inflammation caused from eczema. Regular intake helps in healing the eczema scars.
- Intake 1,200 milligrams of fish oil capsules thrice a day to get rid of scars.
- Adding fatty fish (salmon, tuna etc.) to daily diet also helps.