Today i will discuss some home remedies for food poisoning. Most of us at one point or another in our lives have suffered from food poisoning. Normally food poisoning is caused due to some sort of viruses, bacteria and other toxins. Sometimes it happens if something we ate did not suit us while the other people eating the very same thing have no affects or issues.
Some of the most common symptoms of food poisoning are headache, vomiting, dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal cramps. During a bout of food poisoning, you tend lose more water than normal which may lead to severe dehydration. Therefore, it is important to stay hydrated and drink lots and lots of liquid. That is the best prevention from the food poisoning getting worse and helps in flushing out the toxins. The symptoms normally start within hours of eating the contaminated food. These home remedies are usually best for mild food poisoning since it tends to resolve easily on its own. In case you feel extreme dizziness, blurry vision, dry mouth, non-existent urination, bloody vomit or stools,
These home remedies are usually best for mild food poisoning since it tends to resolve easily on its own. In case you feel extreme dizziness, blurry vision, dry mouth, non-existent urination, bloody vomit or stools, high fever you need to seek immediate medical attention as these remedies won’t help much then.
Ginger is possibly one of the best treatments for treating all sorts of digestive problems, including those caused by food poisoning.
- Try drinking a cup of ginger tea after every lunch or dinner to prevent heartburn, nausea and other symptoms associated with food poisoning.
- In a cup of water, add a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger and let it boil for a few minutes. You can add sugar or tea as per preference. Adding salt also helps with throat. Your tea is ready.
- Raw ginger root slices help too.
- Alternately you can also extract some juice from the ginger root. Mix a few drops of ginger juice in a teaspoon of honey. Consume it several times a day for relief from inflammation and pain.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is naturally acidic in nature but when it enters the body and metabolized, the effect is alkaline which eases the various food poisoning symptoms. It kills the bacteria along with soothing the gastrointestinal lining, providing much needed relief.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and drink it before each meal.
3. Fenugreek Seeds and Yogurt
Fenugreek seeds help treat abdominal discomfort while yogurt is known to contain anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties that help fight the bacteria causing food poisoning. Combined, they can be effective in fighting the bacteria and providing relief at the same time.
- Mix a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Since the seeds are whole, you need to swallow them, not chew. This will give you an immediate relief from stomach pain as well as vomiting.
Well-known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, lemons help immensely in providing relief from food poisoning. The natural acidity in lemons helps kill bacteria that cause food poisoning.
- Take a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and drink 2-3 times a day. You can add a pinch of sugar for taste.
- Alternately, you can mix some lemon juice in warm water and drink it. This will clean out your system of toxins.
Basil has antimicrobial properties that help fight the micro-organisms. It is also an excellent herb to soothe the abdominal discomfort caused by food poisoning. You can get the benefits from basil in several ways.
- Extract some juice from fresh basil leaves.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and drink it several times a day. You can also add some fresh coriander juice for further flavour and benefits.
- Take 4 cups of water and put a few drops of basil oil in it.
- Drink this slowly throughout the day. It will kill the bacteria causing stomach pain and other problems food poisoning symptoms.
- Alternately you can take 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt and mix some sea salt, pinch of black pepper and some basil leaves in it.
- Eat this 3-4 times a day until the symptoms subside.
Garlic and ginger usually go hand in hand carrying similar effect for same symptoms. In case of food poisoning, garlic is also very effective in fighting the bacteria and viruses due to it containing strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Garlic also soothes the symptoms of food poisoning such as diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
- Best would be to eat a fresh garlic clove. You can try swallowing it with water.
- Alternatively, make a mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil. Rub this mixture on your stomach after eating.
Bananas are great when it comes to soothing nausea and queasy stomachs due its easily digestible nature. Being rich in potassium, bananas help in restoring the potassium in our bodies which get depleted due to vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Eating just one banana can make a huge difference in restoring the energy levels. Make sure the banana is ripe and yellow. Slightly raw or green banana can cause constipation leading to stomach ache rather than sooth it.
- You can also make a banana shake and drink it 2-3 times a day. Super delicious.
Cumin seeds, also known as zeera, are great for easing abdominal discomfort and stomach inflammation due to food poisoning.
- In a cup of water, boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Add a teaspoon of fresh coriander leaves juice and a pinch of salt.
- Drink this mixture twice a day for a few days.
9. Herbal Tea
Herbal teas are very beneficial for various stomach related things. Sipping on different types of herbal tea can help soothe the disturbed system due to food poisoning and keep the body well hydrated.
- For stomach cramps, Peppermint tea is best. It has a soothing effect on your stomach and can relieve the cramps.
- Comfrey root and meadow sweet tea helps in treating the stomach infection.
- For nausea, try licorice tea or chamomile tea. These teas help in reducing the inflammation and calm the stomach.
Honey, the mother of cure, has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can be effective for treating countless stomach related problems including food poisoning. It is an ancient natural remedy.
- Take a teaspoon of pure honey thrice a day. This can do wonders to heal an upset stomach. It also controls the formation of excess acid in the stomach.
- Can also be taken in herbal tea in place of sugar.