Today I will discuss some home remedies for nasal congestion. A blockage in the nose are caused due to swelling of the membrane lining inside due to inflamed blood vessels is known as nasal congestion. Nasal congestion is more an annoyance than anything. Since the inside of the nose is swollen, it causes difficulty in breathing through nose leading to snoring, unable to sleep properly, headaches, pain in different areas of the face etc.
The causes behind nasal congestion are allergies, common cold, influenza, hay fever, polyps, sinus, reaction to medicines etc. The exact treatment for this depends on the cause behind the congestion. In case of allergies and sinus especially we are given inhalers and nasal decongestants along with anti-allergies and some anti-inflammatories. You know how annoying and irritating they can be. Taking them day after day even tends to spoil the appetite and the flavour of the mouth.
So for those of you like me who hate the medicines can try these tried and tested home remedies. In case of children, nasal congestion might prove fatal, so it is advised to get them checked from the doctor rather than try home remedies.
Like I mentioned earlier with cough and common cold home remedies, garlic is very good for fighting off nasal congestion. The anti-fungal and anti-viral properties help in fighting the infection causing the congestion.
- Eat fresh garlic cloves. They help in relieving the stuffiness and discomfort.
- Alternately you can boil 2-3 cloves in a cup of water. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric in the mixture and some honey if you for flavour.
- Drink this daily till congestion clears.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar helps in thinning the mucus which helps in quickly clearing a stuffy nose. It is also rich in various nutrients etc. which help in improving health and immunity.
- In warm water, mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and honey as per taste.
- Drink this 2-3 times a day till congestion clears.
3. Steam Inhalation
One of the best remedies for relieving congestion is steam inhalation. Even doctors highly recommend this along with their medicines. Steam inhalation acts as a natural expectorant and lubricates the throat and nose, soothing the irritated tract.
- You can add a few drops peppermint oil to boiling water. Inhale its steam after turning off the stove.
- A tablespoon of Ajwain (crushed carom seeds) to boiling water and inhaling its steam also help immensely in providing relief.
- Caution: Inhaling steam is to be used with precaution for kids as they might scald themselves. It is also not recommended to people with central nervous disorders, high blood pressure, heart condition and also pregnant women.
4. Nasal Irrigation
Nasal irrigation is basically a saline water solution used to drain the sinuses. Doing this helps in washing away the mucus and irritants from nasal passage.
- Take a neti pot or some other irrigation device.
- Put warm water solution mixed with salt in the device and use it to irrigate the passage.
- Make sure to sure boiled or distilled water because any other water might prove to be more harmful containing allergens and irritants in it.
5. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil contains some anti-inflammatory properties and decongestant which helps with eliminating nasal congestion.
- Dab some eucalyptus oil on a clean cloth or handkerchief and inhale its scent throughout the day. Helps in breathing easily and relieving some congestion.
- You can also dab the eucalyptus oil on your pillow before sleeping. It will help in breathing easily and having a restful sleep. Plus the benefits of oil work the whole night.
6. Warm Water
Warm water is very good in relieving nasal congestion and the easiest solution. The warm water helps in providing a steady flow for the mucus go through the nasal passages. It also keeps the passage moist and prevent them from drying out which may cause further discomfort.
- You can let the shower run on very hot water till steam builds around the washroom. Inhale the vapours for a while. Repeat twice daily if possible till you recover.
- Soak a face towel or clean washcloth in hot to warm water (the temperature which is bearable without scalding the skin) and put it on the face till it cools down. Inhale the vapours releasing from the cloth.
- Can be repeated several times a day.
- Humidifier helps immensely with nasal congestion and helps open clogged passages since it converts water to moisture making it inhalable.
- Drink as much warm water as possible throughout the day and keep yourself hydrated.
7. Herbal Tea
The detoxifying properties of herbal tea help in flushing the toxins gathered in the body and also help in thinning the mucus making it easy to flush out.
- Any herbal tea will prove to be beneficial for clearing the congestion. Take it a few times daily.
- Peppermint tea is considered best for nasal congestion.
8. Black Pepper
Black peppers are known to be very beneficial relieving nasal congestion and blocked sinuses. Inhaling it induces sneezing which helps in getting rid of allergens and mucus.
- Mix around 3 drops of sesame oil in black pepper powder.
- Apply this mixture under and slightly inside your nostrils with your finger.
- Breathe in deeply. This will most likely make you sneeze which is what we want.
- Repeat as needed.
9. Spicy Tomato Tea
A very interesting home remedy is the spicy tomato tea. It does the same as other remedies i.e. help improve the flow of mucus through the nasal passages.
- Take one cup of tomato juice and add a tablespoon of lemon juice, chopped garlic each, a pinch of celtic sea salt and some hot sauce.
- Mix together and bring to boil.
- Sip this tea while hot. Have it twice daily till you feel better.
- Eating various spices and spicy food also helps in clearing the nasal passage and congestion.
Fenugreek is also an anti-inflammatory therefore good natural ingredient for nasal congestion. Fenugreek tea provides heat and moisture required to help thin the mucus and also helps in cleaning the mucus membranes.
- Mix 2-3 crushed fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- Bring this mixture boil.
- Strain the mixture and sip it while hot.
- Repeat twice or thrice till you get better.
- Word of caution: Avoid fenugreek during pregnancy.