Today i will discuss home remedies for heartburn. Heartburn is also known as acid indigestion. It is basically a burning sensation in the chest, just behind the breastbone or in the upper central abdomen area. The pain follows often rising in the chest and may be felt up to the neck, throat, or the jaw. Heartburn is normally associated with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). In GERD, the food, acid contents, bilious material or pancreatic juices travel back up into your esophagus and cause trouble while in heartburn, you feel the burning sensation of acid known as acid reflux.
The symptoms for heartburn sometimes tend to be confused with angina or cardiac arrest though 0.6% of the people might have ischemic heart disease. The chances of a person feeling heartburn are high if they are smokers, overweight or pregnant. Even the foods like junk food (spicy, greasy, fatty), alcohol, caffeine and chocolates etc. also cause heartburn.
There are some very basic tried and tested remedies for heartburn which can help relieve the symptoms though major lifestyle changes are also required starting with weight loss.
1. Baking soda
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, helps put an end to the burning gnawing sensation we feel when we have heartburn. This is due to the baking soda having a ph higher than 7 which neutralizes the stomach acid which comes back up causing the heartburn. By neutralizing this stomach acid, the sensation we feel is reduced and the acid is not harmful i.e. does not burn our esophagus.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of fresh water.
- Have this mixture as many times a day as you want but make sure that in 24 hours you do not consume more than 7 teaspoons. Also avoid using this remedy for more than a week as it might have side-effects like nausea or swelling due to high level of salt in this.
- Mixing a few drops of lemon juice in mixture also prevents the gas from building up in the stomach.
2. Fennel seeds
Fennel Seeds, also known as Saunf, are very good for heartburn.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the seeds out and sip the tea slowly.
Mint has soothing and refreshing properties which also help in digestion making it beneficial in case of heartburn. However if the acid reflux is strong, it is to be avoided.
- Seep a tablespoon of crushed mint leaves or a few fresh leaves in a cup of water for 30 minutes.
- Drink this 2-3 times a day.
- Fresh mint leaves can also be chewed directly to avoid the heartburn.
Fresh ginger is also known to neutralize the acidity causing the heartburn. It absorbs the stomach acid and further helps in calming the nerves that add to the heartburn. It also helps in preventing the heartburn from recurring if taken regularly.
- Use fresh ginger in your cooking.
- Can be eaten raw for fast relief.
- Have ginger tea. Steep some fresh ginger in a cup boiling of boiling water for 5-8 minutes.
- Lemon, pepper, cinnamon, honey can be added for taste.
- Drink this tea daily, several times a day.
The acidity of the vinegar helps in neutralizing the rising stomach acid. It simply closes of the sphincter below the esophagus to close thus preventing the stomach acid from rising up. While all types of vinegar can work, the most effective is the apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and consume it daily before each meal.
- Honey can also be added for taste.
6. Aloe Vera juice
The aloe Vera juice is one of the most popular home remedies for heartburn. The aloe vera plant is known for its soothing and healing properties especially with burns. Therefore these properties help in reducing the inflammation in the stomach or in the esophagus which gets burned from stomach acid causing it to swell or get irritated and helps in quickening the healing process too.
- Best to drink a quarter cup of aloe vera juice approximately 20 minutes before each meal. This helps in the body balancing out its natural acid levels before having food. Helps with digestion.
- Avoid drinking this in excess as it is a natural laxative and may cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
This is best remedy for someone who rarely suffers from heartburn and has it in mild form. The milk tends to relax the tract between the stomach and esophagus thus preventing the heartburn early on.
- Drink a glass of chilled milk for relaxing.
- Any other dairy products can also be used to provide relief from mild heartburn.
8. Slippery elm
Slippery elm is an ancient herbal remedy used for centuries for heartburn, GERD and other diseases. It is the extract from this tree which basically thickens the mucous lining in the stomach, naturally creating a strong barrier against the acid.
- Mix a teaspoon of slippery elm powder in a cup of hot water.
- Consume it after meals and at bedtime.
9. Cabbage juice
Cabbage juice has natural anti-inflammatory properties which help in fighting various types of digestive problems including heartburn. Can be taken with other fruits and vegetables.
- Blend fresh cabbage and a couple of carrots in a blender or juicer.
- Have half a cup of this juice every morning on an empty to prevent heartburn.
People who love almonds will adore this remedy. Almonds a very effective for heartburn. Almonds are alkaline producing food that can help in balancing the body’s ph due to it being a good source of calcium.
- After every meal and snack, eat 3-4 almonds.
- Choice almonds depends on your taste from roasted, salted, raw etc.
- Chew the almonds slowly, letting it become flour like in your mouth. This will release the oil from almonds which is essential for calming the acid in your stomach after every meal.